Elizabeth I of England & Mary, Queen of Scots – Letter found rewrites history

Following unanimous resolution by Clan Cameron NSW Inc. members at the Special General Meeting held 12 September 2021 NSW Fair Trading has approved the change of name of the association to National Clan Cameron Australia Incorporated and the Association is therefore registered under that name as an incorporated association in New South Wales under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009, effective 24 September 2021.

As the National body the Association looks forward to supporting Clan Cameron members throughout Australia, enabling the Association to reflect and fulfil its purpose and vision by connecting with all associated Clan Cameron members in Australia, in part through the Clan Cameron in Australia Website, quarterly Clan Cameron Australia News, Clan Cameron in Australia Facebook page, maintaining the Cameron Genealogies database with over 120,000 Australian Camerons and their descendants, supporting and promoting Scottish and Celtic gatherings across Australia and by providing opportunities to inform and promote the unity and welfare of all associated Clan Cameron members throughout Australia.

National Clan Cameron Australia Incorporated looks forward to supporting all associated Clan Cameron members and developing a strong and growing presence throughout Australia and developing productive contact and relations with Clan Cameron associations internationally.

The answers can be found on the Clan Cameron in Australia Member’s Page.

1) What does the word ceilidh translate as?

2) Who wrote the words of Scots, Wha hae – ‘Scots, Who have’?

3) Which American park did the Scots conservationist John Muir found?

4) What is the current Guiness World Record for tossing the caber in one hour?

5) Whose dying words were, “So little done. So much to do”?

6) How long is the West Highland Way? a) 85 miles, b) 95 miles or c) 105 miles?

7) What do geal and dubh translate as?

8) What was the Roman name for Scotland?

9) What kind of weather is described in Scotland as smolt?

10) Who is entitled to wear what feathers?

ANSWERS

Clan Cameron Members can access Cameron Stories Combined – Edition 2  on the Clan Cameron in Australia Member’s Page.

Additional family stories or updated accounts, with a hint below, have been added to Edition 1.

  • Tell your Story: From Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Scotland to Australia by John (Mel) Cameron, Vice-President Clan Cameron NSW Inc.

As the daughter of stonemason in the Ardnamurchan Peninsula in the 18th century John’s great Grandmother Isabella emigrated to Australia on SV Brilliant in September 1837 as a widow with seven children, first settling in the Hunter Valley of NSW. John’s grandmother then settled on the Clarence River establishing the property ‘Highfield’ which was noted as haven for ‘travellers’ during the Depression years.

  • The Camerons of Coboco by James Lachlan Cameron, Commissioner Clan Cameron Australia

James’ great great Grandparents Archibald and Catherine Mathieson emigrated to Australia from the Blaich locality in Lochaber on the Boyne in 1838 as part of the Highland Emigration Scheme, settling in the Dubbo region where their siblings became prosperous graziers.

  • The Camerons of Blarachaorin by Christopher Cameron, Treasurer Clan Cameron NSW Inc.

From humble tenants in the small settlement of Blarachaorin, situated on the old military road between Kinlochleven and Fort William, Chris’ great great great great Grandparents Angus and Isabella had six children. John and his family emigrated to Australia on the Blonde in 1849 to settle in the New England area of NSW along with a number of other highland families. The area was affectionately referred to as Scot’s Corner and with grit and determination and in a supportive and united community they became successful graziers and contributed to the wider life of the local area.

  • The Camerons of Otunui by Margaret Steedman & Donald Cameron and Christina (Christian) Maclean of Wairarapa by Alistair Cameron, President Clan Cameron NSW Inc.

Hailing from the Ardnamurchan area, as did John Cameron’s descendants  above, Alistair’s descendents emigrated to New Zealand on the Blenheim in 1840. Alistair’s mother Joan Aitkins descends from those who settled in the Otunui area, in the rugged central highlands of the North Island. Family members lived in a large tent before a large timber house was built which also served as the local Post Office. Alistair relates tales of Angus who at 32 stone (over 200kg) reportedly broke the neck of a bull with his bare hands.

Alistair’s paternal descendants settled and farmed land in the Wairarapa area where the family home is currently occupied by 7th generation New Zealand Camerons. Alistair emigrated to Australia in 1981.

John Logie Baird Commemorated with 2021 Royal Mint Coin

This year the Royal Mint has marked the 75th anniversary of his passing with an official British legal tender 50p coin type. The reverse design of this numismatic tribute encapsulates the essence of ‘The Father of Television’ through a spectacular image celebrating both his life and his greatest invention.

Top of the line is a prestigious tribute coin struck to exquisite Proof quality from half a troy ounce of 22-carat gold. The coin is an official issue of the Royal Mint, notable for the tiny limited edition of just 300. Yours for $2,595.00. Other qualities are available.

John Logie Baird Royal Mint Gold Coin, 2021

John Logie Baird was a Scottish engineer, most famous for being the first person to demonstrate a working television.

John Logie Baird was born on 14 August 1888 in Helensburgh on the west coast of Scotland, the son of a clergyman. Dogged by ill health for most of his life, he nonetheless showed early signs of ingenuity, rigging up a telephone exchange to connect his bedroom to those of his friends across the street. His studies at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College were interrupted by the outbreak of World War One. Rejected as unfit for the forces, he served as superintendent engineer of the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company. When the war ended he set himself up in business, with mixed results.

Baird then moved to the south coast of England and applied himself to creating a television, a dream of many scientists for decades. His first crude apparatus was made of odds and ends, but by 1924 he managed to transmit a flickering image across a few feet. On 26 January 1926 he gave the world’s first demonstration of true television before 50 scientists in an attic room in central London. In 1927, his television was demonstrated over 438 miles of telephone line between London and Glasgow, and he formed the Baird Television Development Company. (BTDC). In 1928, the BTDC achieved the first transatlantic television transmission between London and New York and the first transmission to a ship in mid-Atlantic. He also gave the first demonstration of both colour and stereoscopic television.

John Logie Baird at work

In 1929, the German post office gave him the facilities to develop an experimental television service based on his mechanical system, the only one operable at the time. Sound and vision were initially sent alternately, and only began to be transmitted simultaneously from 1930. However, Baird’s mechanical system was rapidly becoming obsolete as electronic systems were developed, chiefly by Marconi-EMI in Britain and America. Although he had invested in the mechanical system in order to achieve early results, Baird had also been exploring electronic systems from an early stage. Nevertheless, a BBC committee of inquiry in 1935 prompted a side-by-side trial between Marconi-EMI’s all-electronic television system, which worked on 405 lines to Baird’s 240. Marconi-EMI won, and in 1937 Baird’s system was dropped.

Baird died on 14 June 1946 in Bexhill-on-Sea in Sussex.

Ref: BBC Historic Figures

When we visit Culloden Battlefield we will inevitably head out across the moor and stand in front of the large memorial cairn in the centre of the field. Surrounding the cairn are most, but not all, of the grave markers on the field, so what is the history of these markers?

The markers on the battlefield were put in place in 1881, some 130 years after the battle. One of the main question we are asked regards the names on the stones, as many carry the names of one or more clans who fought at Culloden. There have been geophysical tests of the area completed and they show that the area around the cairn does indeed hold many mass graves but how the names on the gravestones were chosen is something of a mystery.

Clansmen would not have been easy to distinguish from one another. There was no clan tartan back in 1746 so identifying a persons clan relied on smaller things that their cap badge or clan plant that men may have worn. After the battle it would have been incredibly difficult to accurately determine who was from which clan so it is believed that the markers on the field are symbolic of the major clans who fought at Culloden and who suffered significant losses.

 

 

 

As well as the marker by the cairn, there are a few others across the field. Further north are three stones that commemorate the MacDonald’s who fought on the far left of the Jacobite front line. Whilst they did not take part in the hand-to-hand combat that occurred further south they were instrumental in aiding the retreat of the Jacobite army. Each year at the anniversary of the battle the local MacDonald clan and supporters will march down to the stones after the main ceremony to lay a wreath for the men.

Perhaps one of the most annoying and intriguing stones on the battlefield is that of the ‘Field of the English’. This stone lies behind the front line of the Government troops and supposedly marks the site of a grave of the Government men who died during the battle. However, there are two issues we have with the stone. Firstly, research has shown that there is no sign of a mass grave by the stone. The nearest lies some fifty yard to the West of the stone. Secondly, its inscription, ‘Field of the English’. This is not accurate. The Government army was not an English Army, it was made of men from Scotland, Wales and England making it a British Army.

 

The website administrator standing near the Cameron marker in 2007

Despite some questions on the accuracy of the markers though there is no doubt to how special they are to the site. Many who visit take a moment as they walk past the stones to take in the incredible atmosphere of the battle and remember the history of the site.

 

Ref: https://cullodenbattlefield.wordpress.com/tag/clan-stones/

 

 

 

 

   

 

The Appeal

The charitable Trust that looks after Sir Walter Scott Steamship has launched an urgent SOS – Save our Steamship appeal to restore the much loved 121-year-old steamer.

£500,000 is needed to restore the historic steamer, which is currently not sailing as she requires a new boiler and other significant repairs. These funds will have to be secured by the end of this year to allow work to begin in time to allow sailing in the National Park in summer 2022.

Sir Walter Scott Steamship, named after the poet whose famous poem ‘Lady of the Lake’ about Loch Katrine was published in 1810. Scott was born 250 years ago, and his work and that of other artists and poets of the day put Loch Katrine on the map.

Support for the appeal to get Sir Walter Scott Steamship back into operation for current and future generations to enjoy sailing on Loch Katrine can be made via the link below..

Steamships on Loch Katrine

Sir Walter Scott was launched in 1900. She was Loch Katrine’s fourth steamer. The first being Gypsy, introduced in 1843, providing competition to ‘Water Witch’, an eight-oared wooden galley.

Gypsy was to sink under mysterious circumstances just a week later, allegedly by the ferrymen who thought the steamer’s arrival threatened their jobs. Rob Roy and then Rob Roy II steamers followed until 1900, when Sir Walter Scott was introduced.

 

 

 

 

 

 

About Loch Katrine

Loch Katrine, in the Trossachs, is part of Loch Lomond & The Trossachs, Scotland’s first National Park and the Great Trossachs Forest National Nature Reserve.

The loch is 11 miles long, one mile wide at its widest point, and 540 feet deep. The name comes from the Gaelic ceathairne, meaning cattle thief which may be due to strong links with famous cattle dealer and Clan Chief Rob Roy MacGregor. Loch Katrine is one of Scotland’s natural wonders with a rich history and stunning scenery, attracting visitors for over 200 years.

Sir Walter Scott

In 1809 Scottish writer Sir Walter Scott holidayed in the Trossachs and spent many hours writing his poem ‘The Lady of the Lake’. When released in 1810, it was the blockbuster of its day; 25,000 editions were sold in the first 8 months after release. Sightseers flocked to Loch Katrine to see for themselves the scenes inspired by Scott’s vivid descriptions. He followed this with his adventure novel Rob Roy in 1817, which romanticised the rogue-hero and reinforced the appeal of the loch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Save Our Steamship